Undergraduate Studies

Psychology Advising

Faculty Advisors

Open Advising Hours held by CSP faculty are posted in the reception area of Clinical and Social Sciences in Psychology, on the 3rd floor of Meliora Hall.

The faculty advisors are prepared to discuss the programs in Psychology and to accept applications for enrollment in Psychology programs.

Psychology Fall 2014 Advising Hours:

Tuesday 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. Estrada MEL 456
Thursday 4:45   - 5:45 p.m. 


Niemiec MEL 436


Deep red foliage on one of the many trees on campus


CSP's Committee on Undergraduate Studies in Psychology (CUSP) administers the major in psychology, the honors program in psychology, minors in psychology, and clusters in psychology. Support for CUSP is provided by our Academic Coordinator, April Engram (april.engram@rochester.edu), whose office is located in Meliora Hall room 441.

The current members of CUSP are:

  • Christopher Niemiec (Chair)
  • Marie-Joelle Estrada
  • Ronald Rogge
  • Judith Smetana
  • Miron Zuckerman
  • Loisa Bennetto (Ex-Officio)
  • April Engram (Staff)

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some FAQs that students sometimes have about the major, or the advising process.

  • How are advisors assigned? Advisors are not assigned – rather, it is up to students to pick an advisor out of those who are listed above. Students often pick advisors based on: the advisor’s area of expertise, having taken a course with them, or simply because their advising hours match well with the student’s schedule. You may also changed advisors as needed to fit your curriculum and scheduling needs.
  • Can I meet with an advisor if I have not declared a major or minor? Yes! Advisors are here to provide guidance on your course selection and curriculum planning. You do not need to be a psychology major or minor to meet with an advisor.
  • How can I get my transfer course approved for credit toward my major? Advisors may sign course approval forms for you.
    • If your course is analogous to a course being taught here, your advisor may ask you to approach the instructor for that course and ask for their approval before signing your request (a copy of the course syllabus is usually requested at that time).
    • If your course is not one taught here, your advisor and possibly the entire undergraduate studies committee may need to review the course syllabus to decide whether it is an appropriate course to count toward your major.
  • What is the deal with allied field courses – can I count them toward my major or not?  This part of the major has recently been reviewed and changed.
    • If you are in the class of 2013, you may be able to count up to 2 allied field courses toward your major (as part of your requirement to have 6 electives), pending approval by your advisor.  These courses should be closely related to your psychology curriculum of study – and you should outline how as part of a brief proposal to your advisor.
    • If you are in the class of 2014 or later, you may no longer count allied field courses toward your major requirements.  However, you are required to have 5 psychology electives rather than 6.
  • Do Psychology courses that I did not list on my declaration form count toward my major GPA?  Yes, all Psychology courses count toward your major GPA.
  • When I declare my major I will choose a set of courses that constitute an acceptable major. If I later decide to change some of the courses, do I need to go back to my advisor and get the new list of courses approved?  Yes, it would definitely be best for you to do so in order to be sure that the new list does constitute an acceptable major.  Further, it will decrease the chance of an administrative error when your record is being reviewed just before you are due to graduate.